If you’re looking for a warm place to spend the winter, you’re not alone! So are pests!
This time of the year, we get calls about all kinds of pests trying to take up residence in homes and businesses in preparation for winter. Pests like rodents (mice & rats), flies, crickets, stink bugs, spiders and others are being reported throughout the valley this fall. If you observe any of these or other pests, be sure to give us a call!
In the meantime, there are measures you can take to prevent pests from entering your home or business. These include:
• Caulking or otherwise sealing openings on the outside that leads into the structure.• Trimming bushes away from the sides of the building. These act as superhighways to pests looking for a warm place to spend the winter.
• Check to be sure screens are in good repair.
• Seal doors, windows and basement sashes with adhesive- backed weather stripping. Clean the surface first so the weather strip will adhere well.
• Rake moisture-wicking soil and mulch away from the window frames and low wood. Turn your mulch periodically to help keep dampness down, and keep bushes trimmed back as well.
• Fix any leaks inside that will provide needed moisture to pests.
• Move wood piles, compost piles, piles of leaves or grass clippings, or stacked boards or stones away from the foundation.
• Ventilate basements and crawlspaces to reduce moisture levels.
• Drain standing water around the foundation.
• Reduce outside lights, especially around doorways. Many pests are attracted to lights.
Remember, we’re here to help when you need us!!